From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

Thursday, April 2, 2015

One Piece of Advice

by Lauren Gobelman

Today marks the last month of my time participating in Chicago Semester. Man has the time flown by! It seems like just yesterday I was stepping out of the car and breathing in the cold winter air of Chicago. If I have learned anything from my 22 years on this planet it is to hold on to every moment you have and to try and enjoy your days one day at a time. It’s so easy to get caught up in looking ahead to certain things, but when we do that, we forget to appreciate the moments that are right in front of us. Speaking of which, today was 73 degrees! I have found it easier to appreciate the city when it’s warm outside and I can spend time exploring and not worrying about getting frostbite!

Since it is the last month of the semester that means it is crunch time. Everything is in full swing and assignments that are due the last week of the semester are starting to pile up! It can be a little overwhelming when looking at everything due all at once. That’s why it’s important to make a to-do list and break things up so they don’t become so overwhelming. I am currently working on my research assignment for my social work seminar class. I decided to do my assignment on the perspectives of PCM, which is Professional Crisis Management. This is an intervention technique used primarily with students with developmental disabilities. I decided to conduct an interview and randomly select 6 staff members from my internship site (Esperanza Community Services) to gain their perspectives on what they think about PCM to help guide my research. It’s been very interesting to hear how perspectives can differ between staff members from different grade levels and different years of experience.

Speaking of my internship, it’s been going very well! It has been one heck of a semester. I have learned so many things I never thought possible being in an intern position. I tend to be a person who likes to insert myself fully into what I do. Some would call me an overachiever... but I like to look at it as I am just a really hard worker. I have heard numerous comments from some of the staff that I work with more closely that I have been one of the most hands-on interns they have ever had. I personally take that as a compliment! I feel that the only way to truly learn anything is to not be afraid to insert yourself and ask to help out. Ask for tasks to do, ask how you can be a part of a certain situation. I would not have had the same experience if I wasn’t assertive and passionate about gaining experience for future jobs, etc.

If I could give one piece of advice to a future Chicago Semester student I would say, do as much as you can! Don’t be afraid to put off an assignment for a few hours to go explore. Take in as much as you can because this is one of those experiences you don’t want to sell yourself short on because you were too stressed out to take a moment and appreciate the city that you are in, even if it means crashing on your friend’s floor for a night. Chicago is one of the best cities in the world in my opinion, and this has been one heck of an experience that I would not change for anything. I have learned so much, I have become so confident in my navigation skills, and I have learned how to truly appreciate each moment that I have been blessed with this semester!   



No comments:

Post a Comment