From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Springtime in Chicago

by Joseph Helder

I am a little over the half way point in my internship at Evanston District 65. It is early March and the weather has finally started to cooperate with me. For the past week it has been in the forties or low fifties, and after months of piercing cold this feels so good! This has been the first week I have been able to run outside as opposed to on a treadmill. This has made training for my marathon so much easier.

I have not visited Hope’s campus or my home town of East Lansing since I have moved to Chicago. Living and working in Chicago, away from my immediate community back on Hope’s campus is something I have become accustomed to. I have been surprised at how easy it is to maintain a strict sleep schedule, workout routine, and Bible reading schedule when I am not constantly surrounded by friends and distractions. When it is just me making the “adult” decision, it becomes much easier. I am seeing how the little decisions I can make to take care of myself such as eating healthy, and going to bed regularly affect my work day. 

Speaking of work my social work internship has been going great. I have been leading more groups with students, and being a part of meetings where I actually have things to contribute. Two weeks ago I had to present information at a student’s IEP. This was my first time presenting, and I was so nervous. I have presented a couple times since then, now it is old hat! It is fun to see how far I have come since first starting work at these two schools in the District. Now many of the students know my name and are happy to see me when I walk into their class rooms. I have been thinking about how much I am going to miss these students once I am gone and graduated. They will always hold a special place in my heart. 


*Photos by Matthew Meek

No comments:

Post a Comment