From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Finding my Role in Chicago by Jeni Kanis



Hello, my name is Jeni Kanis and I am a Social Work and theatre major interning in Chicago this semester. Now that I have been here about a month, I would like to share with you about my experiences and what I am learning. 

Ever since I got here, I have been trying to figure out my role. That seems like a natural struggle when one moves to a new place or finds herself in a new situation. I have found that relationships, situations and places seem to help define roles for me.

One of my major roles this semester is that of being an intern at the Institute of Therapy through the Arts (ITA). This is an organization that provides art, drama, music, and dance/movement therapy; I enjoy being a part of the work because it connects social work and theatre. My tasks range from administrative projects to aiding therapists in sessions; through this variety of experiences I have begun to see and appreciate that there are many aspects to this organization. One of my favorite things about this internship site is that ITA works with so many populations, so I get to see school age children one day and the next I see elderly clients.
Though, there is much to love about this role, it can be difficult to see the obstacles and struggles of clients. Whether they struggle with mobility, income level, behaviors, or something else, I empathize with the struggles and hope that they can use some of the things that the creative arts therapies might help them discover. Sometimes I have gotten to see these clients, some of whom struggle the most, succeed which has been a joy that reminds me of the hope and success that can come from a helping relationship.

I have been talking about roles, and finding my roles here in Chicago. I have loved the process of finding my roles in the last month, but sometimes I feel lost in the search. One of the things that has helped me remember what a student like me might be doing in a city like Chicago has been the scenery on my daily walk. When I walk along the lake shore, I find a never ending horizon of water stretches on my right. It calls to mind the hope I have for right relationships and renewal. On the other side, the city skyline looms large, and I am reminded of daily existence, wrapped in  concerns, joys, hardships, and celebrations of the here and now. For a moment on my walks, I am in between, and I find myself thinking maybe part of my role is to connect the two. 


                   

No comments:

Post a Comment