From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Getting Acclimated to Chicago

by Joseph Helder

This is the beginning of my fourth week of working for Evanston District 65 schools. Today is a special day because school was canceled. I love snow days!! Throughout the course of yesterday we got about 18 inches of snow. Many other Chicago semester interns are also enjoying a day off. This is a great way to start the week. I have been enjoying my internship but who would not take an extra day off at the the end of the weekend. 

After last week it feels like I am finally acclimated to a school social work schedule. Because I am living in the Gold Coast neighborhood and my internship is with Evanston schools,  I have been getting up at 6:00am to get ready and catch the train. Depending on which school I am at that day I either take the red line to purple line then use a bus or just red line to purple line and walk to school. I switch schools depending on the day of the week, and some days I also switch schools half way through the day. It just goes to show that social workers need to be flexible. It is easier to be flexible for certain situations, snow days for example. At work I have mainly been sitting in on meeting but there are more and more opportunities for me to interview parents and lead small groups with the students. When we do conduct groups I teach the preschoolers about emotional regulation. I also get to work with a couple different groups of middle schoolers and high schoolers with developmental disabilities. These groups are always a highlight of my day. 


Overall the first few weeks here in Chicago have been great. I feel like I have mastered public transportation and have devised a budget I can stick to with some work. These past few weekends I have enjoyed getting to know the other students from different colleges. It sounds like our campus experiences have been very similar, and we get along very well. Here is a picture of some of us getting ice cream after we saw a show at the Looking Glass Theater last week.


No comments:

Post a Comment