From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

Monday, March 3, 2014

Hull House and Heartland, by Jenna Harms

A couple weeks ago for our social work class, we got to go to the Hull House and see and learn about how Jane Addams impacted the city of Chicago. I was so excited to get to go to this place because of how much I had learned in all of my social work classes about her and all of the wonderful things she had done. When I was there I was amazed! The buildings, the complexities of the programs, and all of the people that were impacted by this impressed me so much and made me want to practice social work even more than I already do.

It was also really cool to learn about all of the immigrants that the Hull House served. When we were leaving, our coordinator pointed that out to us. It was awesome to imagine people arriving to the city, walking to the Hull House and getting help settling into the city.

I love this, because this is what I am doing with my internship at Heartland Alliance as well. I get to welcome people into the United States some of the first days they are here and help them receive services. Within the next two weeks, the organization that I am interning for will help settle approximately thirty refugees and I get to be a part of that. I will learn about their hopes and dreams during their intake, I will learn about their health during their home visits, I will get to help them apply for Public Aid and Social Security, and I will get to see the pride in their face when they receive their state identification.

A couple weeks ago, I got to take a couple people to receive their state ID. They were so proud when they had this permanent piece of identification in their hands. They showed everyone around them. Witnessing activities like these makes me kind of feel like a proud parent – and I think that is a good thing in the profession of social work. Our clients essentially become our children.

No I am not a parent and I know I am far away from being a parent, but I know from how I was raised that parents teach and help along the way and eventually they let go and let their children go on their own. That is what I have been doing, I have been teaching and helping participants to become accustomed to living in this country and soon I will be letting them go off on their own. Some days I wonder what the future holds for these participants and if I will ever run into them in the future. I hope that happens because I am eager to hear about how their hopes and dreams that they communicated in the initial intake interview came true.

I really like what Jeremiah 29:7-14 says:

Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.” Yes this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: “Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have. They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them,” declares the Lord. This is what the Lord says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

The Lord is with us and He will guide our steps. He will guide the participants of Heartland Alliance, He will guide me, and He will guide you to where you were meant to be in life.







No comments:

Post a Comment