From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

Monday, April 22, 2013

Life Changes

by Kristin Kujawa

Life is but a breath. This phrase from James 4:14 has been brought to my attention recently in several situations.
                                                          
A friend of mine passed away tragically in a fiery car crash on Good Friday. He was 28 years old and in a matter of seconds his life on this earth was gone and he is home with his Savior. James Sauter was a man full of energy and impact with a promising future ahead of him. In a moment, because of another man’s mistake, his life was taken. Though his time was short, his influence on so many others' lives was evident by the thousands who gathered to pay their respects. As I was thinking about the situation, it brought to mind the verse I Peter 1:24 “All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field: the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of Lord will stand forever.” We do not know what tomorrow holds, we do not know how short our life will be. We can be called home anytime. So we must make the most of the time God grants us on this earth.
 
As I was reflecting about this quick end of a life, I realized that my time at my internship is coming to an end quickly. Though it is ending, I feel like my time here has really just begun. I have just begun getting to know a number of my participants and feel comfortable with all the staff. The reality of life is that you are here for a moment. But during that time you will impact so many people. One of my favorite life verses that I choose to live by is Colossians 3:17 “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.” The question that I continually ask myself not only in my internship but on a daily basis is, am I giving my all to serve him? Because this life is short, time moves quickly, and that is something that we cannot get back. We need to choose to live each day giving thanks to God the Father and doing His work while we are here.

Life quickly changes and this is has been more evident as of late even throughout the country. There is threat of war from North Korea, the bombings in Boston, crazy weather across the country; each reminds us that we cannot control everything. Through all of life’s changes we need to look to the Creator and the Omnipotent One. He is the only one who understands, because He holds the world in his hands.
As we look to the future as graduating seniors or returning to our colleges for another year or two, be reminded that what we are here for only a short time. We can choose to live our lives as a testimony of what He has accomplished, making an eternal impact for the kingdom, or we can focus on worldly success. The question is what will you do with the time He gives you?

No comments:

Post a Comment