From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

From the Perspective of Chicago Semester Social Work Students

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Living in the City by Jenny Henscheid


Living in the city has been such a fun experience! Using public transportation is great because you can get anywhere! There is also a ton to do, plenty of places to try new food and lots of interesting and new experiences! 


One of the Art Events we went to was at the Chicago Cultural Center. One of the exhibits was “Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection.” This collection showcases over five hundred artworks and artifacts from the collector Richard Harris. There are two major sections: The War Room, which deals with the horrors and reactions to war expressed through art; and the Kunstkammer of Death, a play on the traditional European term for a ‘cabinet of curiosities.’ My favorite piece in this collection was one called “Ring Around the Rosie” the name describes exactly what it is. 

 
On President’s Day one of my roommates and I went to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Many of the animals were not out because it was still kind of cold. However, we did see a baby hippo, which was probably the highlight of the trip!

 
 I also made a trip to the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. At the Nature Museum, children can experience nature and science up-close and hands-on through creative art projects, storytelling, animal feedings and more. Even though this museum is for children, I thought it was really interesting. I loved the butterfly pavilion; there were so many different kinds of butterflies.

 
My internship is at Emerson Elementary School as a School Social Worker. Emerson is in Maywood, a suburb of Chicago. It takes me about an hour and 45 minutes to get there. At my internship, I work with children in grades k-8th who have some form of disability (cognitive, emotional, social, or behavioral). My supervisor and I mainly see these children to check in with their feelings, how school is going, if there is anything going on at home….basically anything they want to talk about we do.  The children are so full of life and so resilient. No matter what is going on in their lives they are still cheerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment